Friday, October 29, 2010

Lyrics in a Song



Yesterday I drove out to a park to catch the fall colors by myself and while I was on the road I heard a NPR show that really caught my attention. It was an
interview of Stephen Sondhien, the lyrics writer who wrote those famous songs in Sweeney Todd, Gypsy, and West Side Story. Remember this gangster's song from West Side Story?


(sings)
When you're a Jet,
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day.

When you're a Jet,
If the spit hits the fan,
You got brothers around,
You're a family man!

You're never alone,
You're never disconnected!
You're home with your own:
When company's expected,
You're well protected!

Then you are set
With a capital J,
Which you'll never forget
Till they cart you away.
When you're a Jet,

You stay a Jet!
- by Stephen Sondheim


Brilliant huh! Well, this is masterful I think. I need to write some lyrics too, for a song. And it is sang by a little boy who learned it from other little boys sung to impress little boys in general. It is a hunter's song. I want it to be a timeless one, non-period specific. I couldn't sleep last night, and this was what I come up with:

(sings)
Oh, the mornin' is sunny and gay
Time to leave home with our gears
I feel like we'll be winners today
when we hunt those far and near

Why you do not think so you say
Too long we wait for a deer
Bet you are wrong and you will pay
Hidden they prick 'em pointy ears

In time young ones come out to play
Too soon they forget their fears
Their mom is busy to chase them away
She watch not her exposed rear

The moment has come to shoot hooray!
Her scream rings loud and clear
You've lost a bet, come see where she lay
She's dead you owe me a beer
- by moi
This is what I've got so far. It's fun ain't it!

Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment